The Amtrak Downeaster is now operating four round-trip trains daily between Brunswick, ME and Boston, MA. View Schedule
During this reopening period, some Downeaster services, facilities and amenities may not be available. We appreciate the patience and understanding of the travelling public as we work to provide and sustain a safe and healthy environment for our passengers and crews.
Enhanced Health and Safety Protocols
- Amtrak has implemented new cleaning and disinfecting protocols nationwide. The train equipment used in Downeaster service is sanitized nightly and undergoes enhanced cleaning before and after each roundtrip.
- Crews and passengers are required to wear a face coverings in stations, while boarding and onboard the train.
- The number of passengers per train is limited to no more than 50% of available seating capacity so riders are able to abide by physical distancing guidelines.
- All trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- Stations have been updated with signage and other enhancements to promote public health and physical distancing.
- Enhanced cleaning and service protocols in the Downeaster Café include Plexiglass partitions in the service area, removal of all “grab and go items”, touchless payment (with credit card) and a pilot program for at-seat service. Table seating in the Downeaster Café is not permitted.
Click here for complete information about the steps Amtrak is taking to protect the health and safety of our passengers and crews.
Ticket Refunds & Cancellations
Amtrak is waiving change fees for reservations made before August 31, 2020. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation with no fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).